|Members Present||Sheryl Hruska, Chair, Dave Barkan, Kay Carlson, Kay Crosby, Vern Dooley, Jim Elias, Duane Fish, Virginia Fish, Mike Masterson, Ronda Peer, Gary Sturmer, Richard Wilson, Floyd Young|
|Liaisons Absent||Linda Tennant|
|Morning Session||The Academic Advisory Council met on Tuesday, July 11, 2000, at 9:30 a.m. at the Thomas the Apostle Retreat Center for their annual retreat meeting. Members spent the morning in an interactive workshop entitled "Interpersonal Styles: Fox, Lions, and St. Bernards."|
|Call To Order||The meeting was called to order at 1 pm. by Sher Hruska, Chair. The recording secretary was present.|
|Agenda||Action: MSP (vote was unanimous): Agenda approved with additions.|
|Minutes||Action: MSP (vote was unanimous): Minutes from the May 25, 2000, meeting were approved as written.|
|Purpose of AAC||Members divided into groups and developed new guidelines for the membership, function,
and purpose of the Academic Advisory Council. A summary of options discussed follows.
Group One (Ronda, Dave, Vern)
a. develop, review, approve policy on academic affairs, including budget
•delivery of non-traditionally formatted credit education
•delivery of non-credit
b. faculty/director development and evaluation
c. program review
d. develop, review, approve policies/procedures in student handbook
•from faculty/staff to administration
•from academics to student services
|Group Two (Kay Carlson, Mike, Floyd)
AAC acts as the unifying academic body of the college. We discuss, brainstorm, plan, implement and evaluate academic/educational opportunities/occasions on and off campus, in the college community (Big Horn Basin) and the electronic community
Specific Tasks to include:
To develop, review and approve academic policies in all campus handbooks
To review and establish faculty load policies
To communicate academic decisions to the campus
Group Three (Duane, Gary, Rich)
Who takes responsibility?
View to outside constituencies decision making process?
• mentoring faculty - full-time/adjunct
• student advising
• class scheduling
• reassign time
• student policies relating to instruction
• faculty evaluation
• program review
•part-time faculty evaluation
•budget evaluation > including R.I.F. etc.
•new program development/specialization ideas
Division Chairs Directors
|Group Four (Virginia, Kay Crosby, Jim Elias)
?'s on D of N
D of SS
To formally establish consistent communication between and among Division Chairs, Directors and the Dean of Instruction
To inspire a positive learning and working environment at NWC
Facilitate (from Sher's list)
Provide (from Sher's list) include "Revision of"
After discussion of the groups suggestions and review of a proposal developed and distributed to members by Sher, a subcommittee (Dave Barkan, Gary Sturmer, Kay Carlson, Kay Crosby, and Sher Hruska) was formed. The subcommittee will develop a draft for consideration at a future AAC meeting.
|Adequacy of Labs
|Rich Wilson requested members to submit a short summary of their feelings about the adequacies at NWC of alternative learning environment facilities that are appropriate to their programs including any comments on computing and computer labs. He requested the summaries be to him by August 1. Rich will be integrating the information into his NCA report for Criterion Three.|
|Student Orientation||Sher related to members that she has been talking with Mike Taylor, Director of Student
Activities, who is now coordinating Student Orientation. He would like to see more
involvement from the academic side of the college in orientation events. Mike suggested
that each division meet with students at a lunch or dinner during the first week of classes.
The importance of giving students visual recognition of other students with common interests was agreed. However, although this is a great idea, there is concern about the process for getting the students to the right place. This year, Division Chairs will now be making assignments of advisors for those students registered, and they will not be able to assign advisors until after the initial drop/adds are processed, so it would be necessary to wait until the second week to plan the function.
Humanities Division will meet in ORB Lounge
Ag/Tech Division will meet at the Equine Center
Physical Science and Life Health will meet in the Science/Math Building
Visual & Performing Arts will meet at Deming Plaza (or Cabre Gym in case of bad weather)
Communications will meet in FAB 70
Social Science will meet at the Snack Bar
Students with a general studies or "undecided" major will meet with the division of their advisor.
|Orientation Events||There will be a training session for Division Secretaries on August 22. A lunch for
secretaries and chairs will also be planned for this day. New faculty orientation will be
August 23 through August 25. All campus meetings are on August 24.
Part-time faculty will meet for dinner and orientation on August 2 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Each division is requested to have a representative in attendance.
|Schedule for next year's AAC meetings||For next year, AAC will meet every other Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.; Division Chairs will meet on the alternating Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.; and the Directors will meet on Thursdays at 9:30 a.m.|
|Evaluations||The process and forms for evaluations were discussed. Division Chairs and Directors were asked to review the attached forms (one for Division Chairs and one for Staff) in preparation for discussion at a future meeting.|
|Support for untenured faculty||The Committee for Faculty Development and Morale asked for assistance with mentoring untenured faculty. A discussion developed about the conflict of interest for Division Chairs and the Dean of Instruction to mentor new faculty when they are also responsible for evaluating them. Division Chairs (especially those new to the position) were asked to read and review the Faculty Handbook section regarding the process for evaluating untenured faculty. The possibility of the Associate Dean of Instruction coordinating a mentoring program since the Associate Dean has no evaluative role may be an option.|
|Elderhostel||Northwest College has been notified that they may no longer be allowed to use Yellowstone Park for the Elderhostel program. Division Chairs were forewarned that faculty members may be contacted with a request for assistance with this program.|
|Adjournment||The meeting adjourned at 3:30 p.m.|
Respectfully submitted by Becki Rodriguez, Recording Secretary